Thursday, November 12, 2009

IDEA: Piano paint

Oh well, I know the name is kinda lame. Anyway, cause the idea is vague too. Just a quick note about an idea come up to my mind the other day.

What if we can paint by playing instrument? Try to narrow down, the first experiment will be build a system which takes the input of a keyboard as midi signal and then plot something on to the screen. I have a feeling that this is gonna be fun and a pretty cool interactive art. Though I have not put much thought to it yet.

Below are some quick memos:
Randomly pick the starting point for each music sentence. According to the note and harmony you played, different color can be chosen and the size of the stroke and touch can be related to how hard you play the keyboard (loudness). Like I can imagine that if some weird chord series are played loudly, there will be some explosive color objects appeared on the screen.

I am sure that this idea must be down by someone already. But I would love to build one too. Maybe when I have time, can start doing some literature search first (google...). And I am thinking about taking this as a chance to learn max/msp.

No comments: